I had this pattern a few weeks, because as usual, I was sure it was much harder than it turned out to be. So, the fabric and pattern sat there ignored…and what a mistake! These are absolutely the EASIEST shoes to put together. I followed the pattern dutifully, but I would definitely make some changes. Here is the link, so you can check it out yourself. Stardust Cloth Shoe Pattern.
Changes for next time:
- Even for my five-month old, these were much too big. I plan to scale the pattern to 75% and try again. They were big everywhere---length, height, elastic---everything.
- For the iron-on interfacing, I should have followed my gut…next time, I will cut the iron-on interfacing 3/8" smaller all the way around the edges; it will make sewing through the layers so much easier!
- Lastly, I would do layered trimming, instead of pinking the edges. I think it will lay flatter when turned inside-out.
Ideas for next time (and things I already changed):
- Since daughter isn't walking, I simply used muslin for the sole
- Also, to save on cute fabric, I did the lining with muslin (it doesn't show)
- For the top-stitching on the foot, I did a decorative stitch---I LOVE it, but I wish I would have done a bolder color
- I think I will do a pair completely in muslin, and do top-stitching in a decorative stitch…cheap, and I can have a variety of fun stitches and colors.
- Lastly…some embroidery on the front foot on a plain fabric would be ADORABLE!